Lag is an extremely common problem with Slither.io. It is generally caused by one or several things relating to either the server, the player or a player's Internet connection, or sometimes even the player's game settings. Some of these things are:
- Overloading the server
- Excessive entities
- Bad Internet connection
- Unnecessarily high graphics settings
- Player-server distance
Most of the time, it is either a bad Internet connection or the player-server distance. With bad Internet connection, the player will often have their game pause, freeze, or at times just stop working.
Player-server distance is the most common and results in poorly-chosen servers (for example, living in America but, instead of choosing the American server, choosing the Asian server.) For unnecessarily high graphics, simply put them on the lowest, or a simply low, graphics setting.
This can be a serious issue in Slither.io and Agar.io, as good connection is essential to surviving, as your game freezing or stopping for just a few moments could result in you dying and plummeting back down to the bottom of the leaderboard. Tips for fixing lag issues include:
- Closing unnecessary/extra tabs
- Closing unnecessary/extra windows
- Turning off any videos or music in the background if need be
- Restarting your Internet router
- Turning off Wifi, waiting a few minutes, and then re-enabling Wifi
- If things become desperate, restarting your computer should help a bit